Garbage bins can be a tricky spot to clean and deodorize. No matter how often you clean them and disinfect them, there are still times when the bins reek of strong odors.
Good thing there’s a simple and eco-friendly solution to this problem.
Baking soda is a wonderful household product to have around for cleaning and deodorizing purposes. With it, you can clean and deodorize your garbage cans in no time at all.
Baking soda doesn’t just cover the funky odor like other cleaning products. It actually absorbs and neutralizes the odor.
Here is a simple, tried-and-true method that you can use to keep garbage cans smelling fresh and clean.
What You’ll Need:
Bowl or plastic container
Optional: Cloth or paper towels.
1. Empty out the garbage bin.
2. Create a cleaning solution. Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 cups of water and a few drops of dish soap.
3. Use the baking soda solution to wash the inside and outside of the bin. Use a rag to scrub both the inside and outside of the bin.
4. Rinse with clean water.
5. Take the garbage bin outside. Leave it upside down overnight to let it dry. You can also wipe it dry with a cloth or paper towels.
6. Put a clean garbage bag in the garbage bin. You can skip this step if you don’t like using plastic.
7. Finally, sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda at the bottom. I use about a cup of baking soda for a small garbage bin.
Tips On How to Keep Your Garbage Bins Odor-Free
- Take out the trash every day. This will also help in keeping roaches away from your home. If you already have a cockroach problem, see my article on how to use baking soda to get rid of cockroaches.
- Always keep the lid of the garbage bin closed. This will keep the foul odors from coming out.
- You can sprinkle some baking soda directly on top of the garbage. You can do this as a quick fix when you’re too busy to wash the garbage bin.
Don’t waste time and money buying all sorts of cleaning products for your garbage bins when a little baking soda is all you need.
I hope that you find this article helpful.
Thanks for reading my blog.
-Baking Soda Guy
Top Photo by Michal Balog on Unsplash