Plastic cutting boards are much easier to clean than wooden ones. That’s why a lot of households prefer using plastic over wooden boards.
But, even though plastic cutting boards are way safer, cutting on them can still leave deep scratches where germs can live and multiply. That’s why it’s important to sanitize them regularly.
Baking soda and vinegar will not just clean your plastic cutting board but also deodorize it.
I’ll explain how I wash my plastic cutting board with baking soda and vinegar in this article. I do this every time I use my board to chop meat, especially chicken. I’m loving the result every time.
Give the method below a try and see for yourself.
What you’ll need:
Clean cloth or paper towels
1. Sprinkle baking soda.
Directly sprinkle baking soda on the surface of the cutting board. Make sure you cover all the spots with stains.
2. Pour the vinegar and wait.
Pour vinegar on top of the baking soda. You’ll notice it react with the baking soda. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
3. Scrub the cutting board.
Use a sponge to scrub the surface of the cutting board. Scrub vigorously and focus on the hard stains.
4. Wash the cutting board with Dish soap and water.
Wash the plastic cutting board as usual with dish soap. Make sure to wash off any excess baking soda on its surface.
5. Dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
Dry your cutting board before putting it away.
3 Tips to Keep Your Plastic Cutting Boards Clean
- Make sure you clean stains right away. Don’t give it time to soak on the grooves of your cutting board.
- Always handwash your cutting boards. Washing it in a dishwasher will expose it to heat and can crack your cutting board.
- If you notice your plastic cutting board reeks, just spray a little vinegar on its surface and wipe it with a cloth. Vinegar is a powerful deodorizer.
There you go. That’s how I sanitize my plastic cutting board with baking soda and vinegar.
I’ve also written an article on how to clean your hairbrush with baking soda. It’s a simple cleaning method like this one, so make sure you check it out.
I hope you found this post helpful and informative.
Thanks for reading!
-Baking Soda Guy