Cleaning the carpet in your car is an important task that helps to maintain the overall appearance and cleanliness of your vehicle.
Unfortunately, commercial carpet cleaners can be expensive and/or contain harsh chemicals that can damage the carpet and upholstery.
A great alternative is to use a homemade cleaner made of baking soda and vinegar that is both effective and safe for your car’s interior.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to make a homemade car carpet cleaner.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional, for fragrance)
- Start by removing any debris or larger pieces of dirt from the car carpet using a vacuum cleaner or a hand-held brush.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the baking soda, white vinegar, and warm water. Stir the ingredients together until a paste is formed.
- If desired, add 10-15 drops of essential oil to the mixture for a pleasant fragrance.
- Using a small brush or a toothbrush, apply the paste to the carpet, focusing on the areas that are heavily stained or soiled.
- Gently scrub the carpet using circular motions to work the cleaner into the fibers.
- Allow the cleaner to sit on the carpet for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a damp cloth or a clean, damp sponge to wipe away the cleaner and any dirt or stains.
- Rinse the carpet with clean water and use a clean cloth to blot the carpet to remove any remaining moisture.
- Allow the carpet to dry completely putting it back in your car.
- For tough stains, you can increase the amount of baking soda and vinegar in the cleaner.
- Test the cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area of your car’s carpet before using it on a larger area to ensure that it does not cause any discoloration or damage.
- Repeat the process as needed to achieve desired results.
Why Baking Soda and Vinegar Work
Vinegar and baking soda work well as car carpet cleaners because they both have natural cleaning properties.
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a mild abrasive that can effectively remove dirt and stains from surfaces. It also has deodorizing properties, which can help to remove odors from the carpet.
Vinegar, on the other hand, is acidic and can break down dirt, grime, and stains. The acetic acid in vinegar also can kill bacteria and neutralize odors. When combined, these two ingredients create a powerful cleaning solution that can tackle a variety of stains and odors.
When the baking soda and vinegar are mixed together, they create a chemical reaction that releases carbon dioxide and forms a mild cleaning solution. This solution is perfect for cleaning carpets and upholstery in cars and it is gentle enough not to damage the material.
Keeping your car’s carpet clean not only improves the appearance of your vehicle’s interior but also helps to maintain its cleanliness. With this simple and effective homemade cleaner, you can clean your car’s carpet easily and safely.
So, next time you’re thinking of spending money on expensive car carpet cleaners, give this recipe a try and see the difference it makes.
Got pet hair on your carpet? Try baking soda. See Remove Pet Hair from the Carpet Using Baking Soda.
Thanks for reading.
-Baking Soda Guy