Do you have a pair of shoes that could use some sprucing up? Well, then this article is for you.
Whether they’re your favorite pair of sneakers or a trusty pair of boots, there is no reason to let them get worn down. A good cleaning can make them look like new again without breaking the bank or requiring fancy tools.
In this article, we’ll go over the basics of how to clean shoes with toothpaste and why it works so well.
From canvas to leather, here’s what you need to know about getting your shoes looking as good as new in just a few quick steps with the help of white toothpaste!
What You’ll Need:
- Old toothbrush
- White toothpaste
- Old towel
- Clean cloth (for removing stains)
- Bucket or basin
- Apply a small amount of toothpaste to a soft cloth.
- Rub in a circular motion to remove dirt, stains, and scuff marks.
- Wipe off excess paste with a damp cloth.
- Let the shoes dry.
- Repeat as necessary.
What Kinds of Shoes Can You Clean with Toothpaste?
Although toothpaste is a mild abrasive and can help keep your shoes clean, it won’t work on all types of shoes. The best shoe material to use toothpaste on is leather or canvas (think Converse).
If you’re cleaning suede, use a suede-specific cleaner. Toothpaste will likely leave stains and scratches on this delicate material.
Tips for Keeping Your Shoes Looking and Smelling Fresh
If you’re going to be using toothpaste as a shoe cleaning agent, it’s important to know how to care for your shoes so they last as long as possible. Here are a few tips:
- Use a shoe tree. This will help keep the shape of your shoe and make them last longer!
- Store shoes in a cool, dry place. It’s best if they’re not exposed to direct sunlight or heat (like in an attic).
- Rotate between pairs of shoes so that they can breathe. Make sure you wear them on different days so they can air out before you use them again.
- Wipe leather shoes down with wax after every few uses!
That’s all there is to it!
You can use toothpaste to clean your shoes and make them look good. Remember, a little bit of toothpaste goes a long way, and you might be surprised at how much dirt comes off your shoes the first time you clean them.
Take care of your shoes by cleaning them regularly.
Do you want to know another way to use toothpaste for cleaning? See my article on how to clean headlights with toothpaste to learn more.
Thank you for reading.
-Baking Soda Guy