Jeans are one of the most versatile items in your wardrobe. They go well with any top, from basic t-shirts to demure blouses (for you ladies out there).
Aside from sporting them in different styles, you might want to wear the same pair of jeans for more than a few days without washing them because of their versatility.
However, they can get a little smelly after some use. The smell of sweat with smoke can get a little intense.
It can be a problem. Nobody wants to be known as the “Funky jeans guy/gal”!
Good thing there is a clever trick in removing the funky odor of your denim pants — just sprinkle some baking soda on them. It will keep your beloved duds smelling much fresher, without the need for frequent laundry!
In this article, I’ll show you a method that I like to use for deodorizing my jeans with baking soda without washing them.
Let us start.
What You’ll Need:
Big resealable bag or a big sealable container
Your funky jeans
Optional: A freezer
1. Place the jeans inside a resealable bag or container. You can also turn your jeans inside out before you put them inside the bag if you don’t mind them getting a little wrinkly.
2. Sprinkle about 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda inside the bag. Shake it to spread.
3. Seal the bag or container and let it soak overnight. The tighter the seal, the better. The baking soda should absorb most of the odors. You can also place the bag inside the freezer.
4. Take out your jeans and shake off any remaining baking soda. Your jeans should smell fresh.
What Causes Your Jeans to Smell?
Bacteria from your sweat, cigarette and vehicle smoke, odor from food, and smells from other outside elements all contribute to stinking up your jeans.
Why Not Just Wash Your Jeans After Each Use?
It might seem like a good idea to wash your denim after each time you wear them. But washing too often can fade the jeans, cause them to shrink, or make them lose their original shape.
That’s why it’s better to know ways to deodorize jeans without washing to lengthen their lifespan. Most jeans could last you upwards of 5 years with enough care.
Other Ways to Deodorize Your Jeans Without Washing
- Put it inside the freezer. There’s no scientific evidence to back this up but, my big brother, who’s a denim head, swears by this method.
- Give your jeans a little air and sunshine. The UV rays from the sun can kill odor-causing bacteria. An old-fashioned clothesline works perfectly for this.
- Use essential oils. Mix a few drops of your favorite essential oil with water and spray it on your jeans.
- Spray a little lemon juice mixed with water and alcohol. The citric acid in lemons is a powerful deodorizer.
When all else fails, wash it. You can presoak it first with baking soda before throwing it inside the washer. See my article on how to presoak smelly clothes with baking soda.
How can you tell when it’s time to wash your Jeans?
Simple. Just do a smell test. If it stinks, then it goes into the washer.
It’s even better if you can have someone you trust smell it for you, like a friend or partner. We get so used to how we smell that we might now notice the intensity of our scent.
Take care of your jeans, and they’ll serve you for many years.
I hope you’ll give some tips in this article a try the next time you notice your jeans start to stink.
Thank you for dropping by my blog.
-Baking Soda Guy