If you have kids or had an “accident” at the office, you have probably come across the frustrating task of removing stains from underpants.
Have no fear – you are not alone.
Stains are inevitable when you wear underwear, and that’s why you need to know how to get rid of them.
Stains can be caused by several things. For example, blood is a common cause of stains. Women can get their underwear stained during their menstrual cycle. It’s also not uncommon for men to have blood on their underwear due to wounds from shaving or other accidents. Other causes of stains include sweat, urine, and feces.
I’ve tried tons of household products, and while they work well, they often contain some pretty scary ingredients that I try to avoid. Good thing baking soda works just as well, if not better than most store-bought cleaning products. As an added benefit it’s a powerful deodorizer, so you get clean and fresh-smelling underwear without toxic ingredients.
Got sweat, blood, yellow urine, or brown feces stains on the underwear? Baking soda can handle them. In this article, I’ll show you how to remove underwear stains using baking soda.
Let’s get started.
What You’ll Need:
Laundry basin or sink
Rubber cleaning gloves
- Create a paste by mixing equal parts of baking soda and water in a bowl.
- Wear rubber gloves. Put the underwear under running water and blot the stain with your finger.
- Put some baking soda paste on the stained area. Scrub the stain gently with a brush and paste. Keep scrubbing until the stain is gone.
- Rinse the baking soda paste off with water.
- Place the underwear in the washing machine or hand wash and wash as usual.
Why is Baking Soda Good for Removing Underwear Stains?
Baking soda is good for removing stains because it is a mild alkali and can soften water, meaning it can break down the stain even without detergent.
The sodium ions in baking soda act as a softener so that the water you use can penetrate deeper into the fabric and remove any dirt or stain embedded within.
Baking soda also has abrasive properties that allow it to scrub away tough stains and odors from surfaces.
How Do You Get Old Stains Out of Underwear?
The best way to get rid of old stains is to use a solution of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dish soap.
You can do this by pouring one cup of baking soda into a bowl, adding a half-cup of hydrogen peroxide, and mixing the two until you have a paste.
Then, add one teaspoon of dish soap and mix the ingredients until they are completely blended. Apply the mixture to the stain, let it sit for an hour, and then wash it off with warm water.
9 Tips for Taking Care of Your Underwear
- Follow the Care Instructions on Your Underwear
- Turn your underwear inside out before washing them.
- Wash Your Underwear in the Cold Setting
- Use a Gentle Laundry Detergent
- Avoid Using Fabric Softener, Bleach, and Dry Cleaning
- Wash your underwear separately from the rest of your clothes.
- Dry without wringing. Hang or air-dry them.
- Don’t iron your underwear. If you really must, use the lowest setting possible.
- Get rid of the worn ones (and donate what you can)
You can extend the life of your underwear if you care for it properly.
Baking soda is a natural ingredient that can be used to remove many stains from underwear.
It is a totally safe option as it does not contain any chemicals, and baking soda is also cheaper than many other chemical-based products available on the market.
No matter how expensive your underwear is, a stain can ruin it. Using baking soda can make sure that the stain does not spoil your underwear.
If you want to learn more uses of baking soda, see my article on how to deodorize your towels with baking soda.
Thanks for reading my blog.
-Baking Soda Guy