Keeping your car windshield clean is important for both safety and style. A dirty windshield can make it hard to see, especially when the sun reflects off of it.
And a dirty windshield won’t give you any style points (and it’s unlikely to get you a date). Fortunately, cleaning your car windshield doesn’t require expensive window cleaner or special wipers; all you need is some toothpaste!
This process will take less than 5 minutes and cost under $5.
Although toothpaste has abrasive qualities that are used to clean teeth, it’s a very mild abrasive. So while this toothpaste trick will remove dirt and grime from your windshield, it will not fix deep scratches in the glass.
Thus, if your windshield has been scratched by rocks or other debris on the road (or if you got into an accident), then this method may not work for you. If that’s the case, contact your insurance company as soon as possible for help with replacing or repairing your window.
But if you just need a cheap and quick way to clean your windshield, then using toothpaste is a great option.
In this article, you’ll learn how to clean your car’s windshield using toothpaste.
What You’ll Need:
To clean your windshield, you’ll need:
- Microfiber cloth
- Wax (optional)
- Squeegee (optional)
- First, squeeze a small amount of toothpaste onto your windshield and spread it around using a microfiber cloth. Use a circular motion when rubbing.
- Next, rinse the toothpaste off with warm water and dry the area with a squeegee to remove excess water left behind.
- Once you have dried the area, use a microfiber cloth to polish the windshield until it shines like new.
- Apply wax to finish (optional).
Why Use Toothpaste to Clean your Windshield?
Toothpaste is very effective at removing a build-up of grime from your windshield. It is also safe for the glass and won’t damage or scratch it as some other common cleaning products can. Additionally, you may already have toothpaste on hand, so you won’t need to purchase an expensive glass cleaner.
Do I Need a Special Kind of Toothpaste?
No! Really, any type of toothpaste will work just fine. However, if you want to maximize the visibility of your windshield after cleaning it with toothpaste then I suggest using a white paste.
It is important that whatever brand/type of paste you choose has no colors or dyes added to it. While most pastes are clear and might not seem like they would stain your car window, some still do have colors in them which could make a mess if they get on the rest of your car’s paint job/windows.
Tips to Keep Your Windshield Clean
- Regular windshield washing is the best way to maintain its cleanliness.
- Use a soft cloth for washing to avoid scratching. Abrasive scrubbers will leave scratches that are difficult to remove and can compromise the integrity of the glass.
- When you choose a cleaning solution, make sure it doesn’t have an ammonia base. Ammonia-containing detergents can display adverse reactions with some automotive window tinting.
- Instead, use a mild soap solution or plain water when rinsing, and avoid using abrasive materials during the cleaning process. This includes paper towels and abrasive sponges and cloths that can scratch your windshield’s surface.
Why It’s Important to Keep Your Windshield Clean
There are many benefits to keeping your windshield clean. First, you will have a better view of the road. You can see what’s going on in front of you so that you can react quickly if necessary and drive safely. If your windshield is dirty, it can obstruct your view or cause an accident.
In addition, it will help you save gas mileage when your windshield is clean. Dirt on the windshield blocks its ability to utilize the aerodynamics of driving and makes it harder for your car to ride smoothly through the air as well as allowing more wind resistance on the front part of your vehicle which causes more fuel consumption because more energy is required from the engine to run faster and smoother over dirt on the glass surface at higher speeds while driving on highways or freeways.
You should also keep your car’s windshield clean for resale value because buyers do not want a vehicle with a dirty windshield – an old car may look new again if its windows are sparkling clean! It gives them confidence in knowing that someone took care of their machine properly before selling it off to another owner who wants nothing but top-notch quality!
Now that you know how to use toothpaste to clean a car’s windshields, you’ll be one step closer to clear vision when driving.
Of course, this method isn’t a substitute for routine maintenance or a professional car wash. While it can help get rid of some of the grime that accumulates on your windshield, using toothpaste will not replace the need for regular washing or mechanical repairs.
However, if you are looking for an inexpensive way to keep your windshield cleaner in between washes, don’t forget about the power of toothpaste!
See my article on how to clean your headlights with baking soda to learn more.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.
-Baking Soda Guy