Summer is just around the corner, which means it’s time to dust off the patio furniture and get ready for BBQs and backyard gatherings.
But if your plastic patio furniture is looking a little worse for wear, don’t worry!
Toothpaste can be a surprisingly effective cleaner for plastic surfaces.
Here’s how to use it to get your patio furniture looking good as new.
What You’ll Need:
- Toothpaste (almost any kind will do, but avoid gel toothpaste)
- A soft cloth or sponge
- A bucket (optional)
- Start by wiping down your patio furniture with a damp cloth to remove any loose dirt and debris. If your furniture is particularly dirty, you may want to use a bucket of water and a sponge to give it a more thorough scrub.
- Once your furniture is clean and dry, it’s time to apply the toothpaste. Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste onto a soft cloth or sponge, and use it to scrub the plastic surface in small circular motions.
- Continue scrubbing until you’ve covered the entire surface of your furniture. The toothpaste should help to lift away any dirt and grime, leaving your furniture looking cleaner and brighter.
- Once you’re satisfied with the cleaning job, rinse the furniture off with water to remove any remaining toothpaste. Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe away any excess water, and let your furniture air dry.
Why Use Toothpaste to Clean Plastic Patio Furniture?
So why use toothpaste to clean your plastic patio furniture, you ask?
Well, toothpaste is a mild abrasive, which means it can help gently scrub away dirt and grime without damaging the plastic surface.
Plus, it’s typically free of harsh chemicals, making it a safer and more eco-friendly choice for cleaning your outdoor space.
Will Toothpaste Scratch Plastic Patio Furniture?
As long as you’re using a soft cloth or sponge and applying the toothpaste gently, there’s a very low risk of scratching your patio furniture.
However, if you’re concerned about the risk of scratching, you may want to test the toothpaste on a small, inconspicuous area of your furniture before applying it to the entire surface.
What Kind of Toothpaste Can You Use to Clean Plastic Patio Furniture?
Most types of toothpaste can be used to clean plastic patio furniture. From regular paste to whitening toothpaste, any kind will do the trick. But try to avoid colored gel toothpaste as it may stain white plastic surfaces.
The key is to use a small amount and scrub gently to avoid scratching the surface of the plastic.
If you’re concerned about the toothpaste leaving a residue or affecting the color of the plastic, you can try using a small amount on a hidden area before applying it to the entire surface.
This will give you a chance to see how it reacts and whether it’s suitable for your specific piece of furniture.
And that’s it! With just a little bit of toothpaste and a whole lot of wiping, you can have your plastic patio furniture looking good as new.
Just be sure to avoid using toothpaste on any painted or finished surfaces, as it may cause damage.
If you’re looking for more ways to use toothpaste around your home, read How to Clean Dirty Clothes Iron with Toothpaste if you got time.
Thanks for reading!
-Baking Soda Guy