Have you ever noticed that your shower mats leave a lingering smell of mold and mildew after a few days?
If yes, then this is the right time to use vinegar to clean them.
Vinegar will kill most bacteria and mold on your mat while making it smell fresh and clean again.
In this article, I’ll teach you how to use vinegar to clean moldy shower mats.
What You’ll Need:
- Cleaning gloves
- A brush or scrubbing sponge (to get the dirt out of the grooves)
- A clean cloth or paper towels
- Spray bottle
- Wear cleaning gloves. Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Shake well.
- Spray the mixture onto the moldy shower mat, letting it sit for a couple of hours while you do other things around the house. Make sure you spray both the bottom and top sides of the shower mat.
- Wipe away any visible mold with a sponge and rinse with water. If there is still some visible mold after rinsing, give it another round of soaking in vinegar solution for another few hours before wiping again with a sponge and rinsing again with water until all traces of the mildew are gone!
- Air dry your now-mold-free shower mat.
Why Use Vinegar to Clean Shower Mats?
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant, so it’s an effective cleaner for your shower mats. It’s also very cheap and easy to find, which makes it an affordable option for removing mold without spending extra money on special cleaning products. Vinegar is non-toxic and eco-friendly, making it a safe choice for both people and the environment.
How Often Should You Clean Shower Mats?
You should clean your shower mats at least once a week. If you have hard water you may need to clean your shower mats more often than that—try cleaning them every other day if you’re worried about buildup!
If there are multiple people in your household, it’s best to clean the shower mats even more often (every other day) as well—this will help prevent mold from developing quickly.
Benefits of Using Vinegar to Clean Shower Mats
The benefits of using vinegar to clean shower mats are:
- It’s cheaper than other cleaners.
- Does not contain any harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia that may be harmful if inhaled in large amounts.
- Kills germs and deodorizes at the same time.
What Kind of Vinegar to Use?
- White vinegar is the most commonly used vinegar and you can find it at almost any store.
- Apple cider vinegar is also a common choice for people who are looking for alternative natural cleaners for their homes.
- Distilled white vinegar is another alternative to white vinegar.
Vinegar is a great natural way to clean your shower mat. It’s also easy to find and very affordable, so there’s no need for you not to try it out.
Vinegar works by killing the mold and mildew that has built up on your mat over time through its ability to kill bacteria on contact. Plus, it doesn’t leave behind any residue after use like other cleaning products might. so give this cleaning method a try.
If you’re looking for more ways to clean your bathroom by using vinegar, see my article on How to Clean Mold Off Bathroom Tiles with Vinegar.
Thanks for reading.
-Baking Soda Guy