Whether it’s sweaty gym shorts or a t-shirt you wore on a hot summer day, sometimes washing with laundry detergent is not enough to remove the funk from your clothes.
In this article, you will learn how to deodorize smelly clothes with the help of baking soda.
I use this pre-soak all the time before throwing my gym clothes in the washer.
I hope that you’ll give it a try.
What you’ll need:
1-2 cups Baking Soda
Laundry basin or sink
Steps in Pre-Soaking Smelly Clothes in Water with Baking Soda:
1. Fill the laundry basin about halfway with water.
2. Pour in 1-2 cups of baking soda. The amount will depend on the size of the basin, but it should be roughly around one cup per gallon of water.
3. Add the funky clothes to the basin. Make sure it’s fully submerged.
4. Let it sit for at least 3 hours. It works even better if you soak your clothes overnight. That will give the baking soda more time to work its magic.
5. After pre-soaking, take a quick whiff. You will notice that the funky smell is gone. Put your clothes in the washer and launder them like usual.
Will Pre-Soaking with Baking Soda Damage My Clothes?
From my experience, I’ve never had a garment fade or get damaged when I pre-soak them in baking soda and water.
And I’ve done it with different fabric types. I’ve used it for my cotton shirts, nylon rashguards, towels, etc.
I noticed that some tough fabrics like jeans get softer but not damaged.
When in doubt, it’s best to check the clothing tags beforehand.
Do I Have to Separate Whites from Colors?
It’s always a good idea to separate whites from colors whether you pre-soak them with baking soda or not.
When you soak them together, you run the risk of one of the colored clothes bleeding dye, ruining your whites.
That’s why I use two different laundry basins whenever I pre-soak my clothes. One for my whites, the other for my colors. It’s safer that way.
There you have it. That’s how I use baking soda to remove the funk from my clothes.
Baking soda also works great for cleaning your toilet. Read on it if you have time.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.
If you find this article helpful, please share it with your friends.
Until next time!
-Baking Soda Guy