Foul-smelling flip flops are a common menace during summer. Flips flops tend to smell, especially if you wear them for long days or even weeks without washing.
If you want to get rid of foul flip-flops smell with an eco-friendly product, try baking soda.
To clean and deodorize your flip-flops, just drop them in a basin with water and baking soda. Allow them to soak for 15-20 minutes before scrubbing the grime away with a soft brush. Finally, rinse and dry thoroughly.
A detailed step-by-step guide is provided below. Give it a try.
Soak and Brush Method
What You’ll Need:
1. In a basin, combine 1-2 cups baking soda and water.
2. Soak your stinky rubber flip-flops for 15-20 minutes in the solution. Make sure the flip-flops are turned face down.
3. Take the flip-flops out of the basin and begin brushing away any visible dirt.
4. Rinse the slippers under running water. Make sure that all traces of baking soda have been removed.
5. Pat dry with a paper towel.
For Super Dirty and Smelly Flip-flops, Brush with Baking Soda Paste
If soaking and brushing with the baking soda solution was not enough to remove the funk from your flip-flops, try cleaning them using baking soda paste.
What You’ll Need:
1. Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl. Mix well to create a paste.
2. Brush both sides of your flip-flops with the baking soda paste. Focus on the really dirty parts.
3. Rinse with water. Make sure you remove all traces of the baking soda paste.
4. Wipe with paper towels and hang dry.
What Causes rubber slippers to smell, and why is it stinky?
A pair of rubber slippers can acquire a bad smell, and sometimes, people believe it is the result of a wet dog accidentally stepping inside the slippers (No, it’s not Fido’s fault).
But the true culprit is bacteria that develop from sweat and dirt that gets trapped in the slippers.
Bacteria prefer moist environments. They can quickly multiply on your flip-flops.
Why Baking Soda Works Like Magic for Cleaning Flip-Flops
Baking soda is a mild abrasive as well as a natural deodorizer.
As a result, you get cleaning and deodorizing power in a single environmentally friendly package.
How Often Should I Clean Slippers to Avoid Stink?
When odors or dirt are detected, flip-flops should be cleaned immediately.
When you use them every day, clean them every two weeks, especially during the summer when you sweat more than usual.
At the very least, they should be cleaned once a month.
Simple natural products, such as baking soda, can often do a better job of removing odors than toxic artificial cleaners. Cleaning with it regularly can help keep your flip-flops clean and odor-free.
If you want to learn more about cleaning with baking soda, check out my article on how to clean makeup brushes with baking soda.
I hope you found this article helpful.
Thank you for visiting my blog.
-Baking Soda Guy